Following an agreement with Ekiti State Government, the Joint Health Sector Unions of Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital, Ado Ekiti, has suspended its indefinite industrial action earlier billed to begin on Monday over the mass sack of workers of the hospital.
JOHESU EKSUTH Chairman, Omotola Farotimi, said in Ado Ekiti on Sunday, “We won’t be going on strike on Monday again. This followed the resolution at a meeting held by the State government with EKSUTH management and JOHESU on Friday.
“We all came to a conclusion that everybody that was given letter would be given fair hearing by the time they would meet in February and they would give them their salaries. Some of them had been reabsorbed and told to go back to their duty posts with immediate effect.”
The PUNCH reports that the workers’ union, which had been pressing for the recall of members who were disengaged on December 31, 2019, had served the EKSUTH management notice of intention to embark on indefinite strike from Monday.
The JOHESU chairman said, “We give the Governor, Dr Kayode Fayemi, the regard for coming to our aid and for calling the meeting to hear us out. We are giving him that respect, that is why we are suspending the strike hoping that the needful would be done”.
The agreements at the meeting were contained in a resolution signed by the Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Labour, Chief Yemi Esan; EKSUTH Chief Medical Director, Prof Kayode Olabanji; JOHESU affiliate unions and representative of the organized labour.
Both parties resolved that “each of the officers who were served letters of disengagement will be given fair hearing by the Board of Management; “That officers whose case is genuine will be readdressed and their salaries would not be affected;
“That officers on critical/essential areas have been directed to resume back to their duty posts with intention to present their matters for ratification; and
“That the management guaranteed that no one would be a victim of witch-hunt.”